Pages

Thursday 15 December 2011

Not much going on.

Wednesday night training and there were only nine in attendance. It could have been worse though as one member is the most irregular attendee which we may not see again for three months and Josh, our newest 'signing' from Tora dojo will be on holiday so we could be down to seven for our final practice of the year next week...

Whatever plans we had thought of to improve the role of motodachi of our 'beginners in bogu' ended up impractical with these numbers. The varying degree of ability means it's a near impossible task at this stage. If they are struggling to stand straight, cut big and follow through how can they possibly think about being better when receiving for us? They should, it's not rocket science but I just think it'll be too much for them.

Anyway, we muddled through with the nine of us. I'm not entirely convinced my weekend added to my abilities but that's often the case - you go away for a weekend, get all these new skills and ideas, return to your own dojo and everything is pretty much the same as usual. I had one rather disconcerting moment where Joe was only allowed to cut men, whereas I could cut any target and any waza, giving me the supposed advantage. Somehow I was unable to do anything. I could feel I was desperate to be more creative and challenging but my body just seemed to take over and could only produce the most very basic of kendo. It's not that I was particularly tired either it just seemed I went on auto-pilot despite wanting to do more and be better. Still there was some ai-men practice out of it, though I think I came out worse off than the others.

So a rather lacklustre performance all round, nevermind, it's more 'density'.

No comments:

Post a Comment