Pages

Thursday 29 December 2011

Seme - tame - whammy

Last Wednesday's practice wasn't much to write home about. There was eight of us, which meant we were kept busy and unusually we were all in armour. Unfortunately this doesn't translate to a higher level of practice, we're still struggling with the role of motodachi for those with less experience. I wasn't feeling great and I didn't really want to go but I've often experienced having a great practice on those nights you least want to train. Equally, the squad training/weekend seminar 'benefits' sometimes take a week or two to turn up in your practice and I thought perhaps this week would see them shine forth. No and no, was the answer to this. Sure there were some good moments but overall it was a pretty unrewarding night for me and another night that makes me question my ability.

In preparation for Sandan I'm trying to make that effort to make a strong seme, with a touch of tame and then take that opening. These are still infinitely complex concepts for me but there has to be some evidence I'm attempting them although I think the tame side of it is too long, I begin to settle and at that point my aite usually catches me on the cold foot. WHAM! I just gave them a decent opportunity and I'm stood there with the only satisfaction that I had the good grace not to block because I deserve to be hit. So I must try not to pause too long in this situation. Of course in another dojo with kendoka of greater experience I'd be picked up on this more. It'd be exploited to the extent I'd come to terms with it sooner rather than later. Unfortunately, with only Sensei and Joe to challenge my level it's not getting the attention it deserves. Those of lesser experience are hesitant to take the chance, due to inexperience, fear, some kind of misplaced hierarchy issue, etc. you can see they see the opening just don't know what to do with it.

So I guess it's up to me to not be in that situation - move it!

No comments:

Post a Comment